Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First They Came...


First they came for the underground homeschoolers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't an underground homeschooler.


--I scrupulously complied with the law no matter how inequitable.
--I didn't mind mandatory notification.


Then they came for the special needs and learning disabled homeschoolers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a the parent of one of those children.


--My children were superior students and performed well on standardized tests.
--I didn't mind "affirmative defenses."


Then they came for the unschoolers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't an unschooler.


--I used a religious curriculum and no one dare restrict my religious freedom.
--My participating agent will protect me from any state interference.


Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.


--No one was left to explain my constitutional rights to the judge.
--The law now protects my child from me without regard for my constitutional rights.